Your initial appointment will consist of a consultation explaining your diagnosis and treatment options. Occasionally, surgery can be performed the same day as the consultation. However, a complex medical history or treatment plan may require an evaluation and a second appointment to provide treatment on another day. If you are undergoing IV sedation or general anesthesia, please refrain from eating for six hours prior to surgery and ensure that there is a responsible individual available to drive you both, to and from our office.
Please assist us by providing the following information at the time of your consultation:
- Your surgical referral slip and any x-rays if applicable.
- A list of medications you are presently taking.
- If you have medical or dental insurance, bring the necessary completed forms. This will save time and allow us to help you process any claims.
- A summary of other doctors that you have seen or procedures that may have been performed regarding your current maxillofacial problem.
- A list of current healthcare providers with contact numbers that you are currently under the care of.
IMPORTANT: All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the consultation visit.
Please alert the office if you have a medical condition that may be of concern prior to surgery (i.e., diabetes, high blood pressure, artificial heart valves and joints, rheumatic fever, etc.) or if you are currently taking any medications (i.e., heart medications, aspirin, anticoagulant therapy, bone density medications, etc.) or if there is a history of drug or food allergies.
If your dentist or physician has taken x-rays you may request that they forward them to our office. If there is not enough time, please pick them up and bring them to our office. If additional films are necessary they can be taken at our facility.